|Dynamic Geomag Gears|
Six Geomag gears. In a perfect world they would turn forever...
This model has some problems (read also my comment on Flickr): its movement is not perfect, and it's not easy to make it run fast. All I show in the my movies is authentic, but sometimes the movies have been edited after a long series of attempts.
- Build 6 gears (6 × (30 + 15) rods, 6 × (12 + 5) spheres).
- The gears are the most critical items. The tooth spheres (see label 2 in figure below) must be North (N). The intermediate spheres ( see label 1 in figure below) most be a weak North as well, otherwise the interaction between two near gears is even more problematic.
- The rods without N or S indications are only the two horizontal closed loops of 5 rods, which are all attached north against south.
- Build the bottom part (54 rods, 19 spheres).
- The external corner spheres must be North to attract the bottom sphere of the gears, which is South.
- Build the star-shaped top part (417 rods, 113 spheres).
- The six spheres that will hold the gears must be north.
- The spheres of the central column (that are the same height as the gears) must be perfectly neutral: this is the reason why this column is hollow (no six-rods star with a central sphere). As a result the column is a little bit weaker, but it also doesn't attract any of the gear teeth.
- Connect all the pieces.